On the NINER AIR 9 RDO Frame,
You will be reaping those benefits straight out the door, whether it’s that first ride with all your friends or the local racer venue, this holds true to what it stands for, as in Race Day Optimized.
Which makes this AIR 9 hardtail mountain bike optimized to be as feather light as possible. They have methodically trimmed it down to racing weight, making this Green, or Licorice Black machine not only lean, but as mean as they come. The new Air 9 RDO rig is 226 grams, lighter than the past years carbon version, thanks to reduced diameters of the top and down tubes, and an optimized RDO carbon layup process. Additionally Niner was wise, to change out their CYA setup as well. Being swapped for a lighter, composite Press Fit 30 style Bottom Bracket, that will no longer give you fits due to creaking. The designers have also tucked the rear disc brake mount inside the curving stays to distribute twisting forces evenly, permitting smaller caliper mounts and decreased wall thicknesses. Even the mountain bike’s headset races for the head tube were molded out of the crafty composite materials. They tried literally to make this AIR 9 29er mtb come alive, with quicker acceleration and awesome single track handling. The sizes available are a new small version, with the same past season sizes of medium, large, and X-large for the tall guys and gals out there. They were truly able to pack a trail day bike into a race day ride, making the Air 9 quite versatile to say the least.
Key Construction Details: The AIR 9′s dynamic features include a Higher modulus style composite structure that comes with integrated alloy interfaces in both the head tube and bottom bracket. Super narrow chain stays for low Q-factor cranks. As with most modern mtb’s these days Niner has employed a tapered style head tube for optimum strength and steering precision. Along with a radically sloping top tube for extra stand over clearance, especially on the newest size small which will now accommodate female riders better than the past years version. Monocoque style layup with alloy interfaces.
Weight: 2.4lbs. (for the size medium RDO)
Four Sizes Available: (new for 2014, is the size SMALL), MEDIUM, LARGE, X-LARGE.
Available Colors are: Green or Arctic White shown above or the Black Licorice as well, that is similar to Niner’s new RIP RDO version.
Key Features Include:
- Embodies their own highly advanced and tested 29er hardtail specific geometry
- Ready to race, or school your friends on Saturdays
- By having a customized RDO carbon layup throughout the entire setup, makes for an ideal stiffness to damping ratio for the highest possible single track fun factor and ride characteristics.
- They also tuned and optimized the AIR 9 Frame for not just one suspension travel height out front, but for both 80mm or a longer 100mm suspension fork, to make it more versatile for those who might live on rougher, rockier terrain.
- Another key modernized detail is the well thought out internally routed cable system, to reduce maintenance when the weather turns inclement
- BioCentric EBB and CYA bottom bracket system for several choices in the drivetrain option department, to once again make it more versatile
- The setup is also completely supported by their very own and highly respected C5 Carbon warranty
The AIR 9 RDO’s online Retail Price comes in at $2098.00 at JENSONUSA