■■■ Pair the D’Fusion Right Fit frame with mountain worthy components, and go home after riding with a huge grin!
Joe Breeze has been a true diehard for mtn-bikers as a leader for innovation for nearly forty years, while just a few years back the Squall was a perfect example of amazing value, paired with Breezer’s great design. So fast forward a few years with innovation and you get the 2018 Breezer Squall Expert, which still employs their D’Fusion tubing, including a unique D-shape profile on the top and down tubes near the head tube intersection and at the top tube-seat tube intersection. This helped reduced the stress that travels though those key joints, which keeps the Squall lively and reduces the risk of frame fatigue. In the rear triangle, D’Fusion tubing adds rigidity to the chainstays through a wider cross-section, while positioning the broad area outboard, to reduce chain suck. This eliminates the need for heavy gussets and keeps the Squall weight light and responsive.
So the big ?-mark for making it easier to size the wheel diameter, it’s now a simple decision and depends on what frame size you ride. It’s called the Right Fit concept, and what it does is match up the geometry of the frame with the wheel size that really enhances the performance of the bike. They found that for average to smaller size riders, a 27.5″ wheel really is the best way to go, since there are fewer compromises in fit–giving a bike that handles better, rides better, and feels better on the trail. For taller riders, it comes with 29er wheels that better match the way larger bikes handle. It’s an innovative solution that makes buying a mountain bike simple and takes some of your painstaking guesswork out of finding the right bike.
Up front, the Squall utilizes RockShox’s 30 Silver 100mm fork with remote lockout to help smooth out the ride and soak up bumps and big hits. Shifting duties fall to a Shimano Deore/XT 2×10-speed drivetrain that gives you 20 gears to work with out on the trail. Stopping is handled by Shimano’s super reliable M395 hydraulic disc brakes. The Squall finishes with WTB SX/Shimano wheels, paired with Nineline Comp tires tires and Oval’s 300 saddle mated with the Oval 310 handlebar with matching Oval Concept grips, so you have a bike that’s ready to take you to the top. Enjoy the view from your Squall hardtail.
- A sweet ride from the oldest mountain biking company started in the US
Sale Discounted — 27% off $899, now $649
Squall purchase and review info at Performancebicycle.com
- Frame: Breezer D’Fusion 6061 Expert Aluminum
- Front Suspension: RockShox 30 Silver 100 mm Fork
- Wheels: WTB SX rim laced to Shimano M4050 Centerlock disc hubs
- Tires: WTB NineLine Comp 2.25″ tires (size XS-M: 27.5″; size ML-XL: 29er)
- Front Mech: Shimano Deore
- Shifter: Shimano Deore, 2×10 – speed
- Rear Mech: Shimano XT, 10 speed
- Crank: Shimano Deore, 38x24T
- Cassette: Shimano 10-speed, 11-36T
- Saddle: Oval 300, with custom graphics.
- Seatpost: Oval 300, 27.2mm, zero offset
- Grips: Oval Concepts
- Headset: FSA, 1-1/8″ integrated
- Brakeset: Shimano M395 Hydraulic Disc
- Handlebar: Squall Oval 310 alloy